Kurmantau village history and its linguistic characteristics
This article discusses the history of the formation of the Tatar village of Kurmantau of the Gafuri region in the Republic of Bashkortostan and the linguistic features of speakers of the Kurmantau subdialect of the Tatar language middle dialect. It is based on the materials collected by the author during dialectological expeditions, as well as historical and ethnographic works, archival materials, including revision tales stored in the funds of Ufa and Moscow. The Kurmantau subdialect was discovered and first investigated by the author in 2011–2015. It is noted that the main role in the formation of the Kurmantau villages was played by the speakers of the middle and western (mishar) dialects of the Tatar language. It is proved that this subdialect has a specific system of dialectal features, and is an independent subdialect of the middle dialect of the Tatar language. The study of linguistic material in direct relation to history and ethnography makes it possible to display a rather detailed picture of the formation of the Kurmantau subdialect, establish the main factors that led to its originality, as well as traces of interaction with other dialects of the Tatar language or with other languages. The Kurmantau subdialect, like other subdialects and dialects, plays an important role in preserving ethnic identity and cultural continuity of generations.
Keywords: linguistics, the Tatar language, dialectology, middle dialect, kurmantau subdialect, Republic of Bashkortostan, Gafuri district, Kurmantau village, archival funds.
For citation: Bulatova M.R. Kurmantau village history and its linguistic characteristics. Istoricheskaya etnologiya – Historical Ethnology, 2019, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 264–273. DOI: 10.22378/he.2019-4-2.264-273
- Asfandiyarov A.Z. Istoriya sel i dereven’ Bashkortostana i sopredel’nyh territorij [History of villages and rural areas of Bashkortostan and its cross-border regions]. Ufa, Kitap Publ., 2009. 744 p (In Russian)
- Bulatova M.R. Kurmantauskij govor v sravnitel’nom osveshchenii (foneticheskie osobennosti) [The Kurmantau subdialect in comparative presentation (phonetic features)]. Nauka XXI veka. Problemy filologii i iskusstvovedeniya. Vyp. 6: Materialy Mezhdunarodnoj nauchnoj konferencii molodyh uchenyh i aspirantov [Science of the 21st Problems of Philology and Art History. Issue 6: Proceedings of the International scientific conference of young dcholars and postgraduate students]. Kazan, 2012, pp. 35–45. (In Russian)
- Bulatova M.R. Morfologicheskie osobennosti tatarskih govorov areala “Yug Bashkortostana” [Morphological features of Tatar subdialects of the South Bashkortostan area]. Kazan, 2013. 240 p. (In Russian)
- Bulatova M.R. Kurmantauskij govor srednego dialekta tatarskogo yazyka v etnolingvisticheskom aspekte [The Kurmantau subdialect of the Tatar language middle dialect in ethnolinguistic terms]. Kazan, Magarif-Vakyt Publ., 2016. 384 p. (In Russian)
- Gosudarstvennoe kazennoe uchrezhdenie Respubliki Bashkortostan: Central’nyj istoricheskij arhiv RB [State public institution of the Republic of Bashkortostan: RB Central Historical Archive]. (In Russian)
- Isyangulov Sh.N. “Vedomosti o bashkirskih shkolah” kak istoricheskij istochnik po otkrytiyu musul’manskih uchebnyh zavedenij [“Bulletin on Bashkir schools” as a historical source on opening Muslim educational institutions]. Arheografiya Yuzhnogo Urala: izuchenie dokumental’nyh istochnikov po istorii razvitiya yazykov narodov Yuzhnogo Urala: materialy VI Mezhregional’noj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii [Archeography of the South Urals: Studying documentary sources on the history of development of the South Urals people’s languages: Proceedings of the 6th Inter-regional research-to-practice conference]. Ufa: CEI UNC RAS Publ., 2006, pp. 44–48. (In Russian)
- Krest’yanskoe hozyajstvo Ufimskoj gubernii: Podvornaya perepis’ 1912–1913. Ch. II. [Peasant households of the Ufa Province: Census of homesteads in 1912–1913. Part 2]. Ufa, Pechat Publ., 1914. (In Russian)
- Naselennye punkty Bashkortostana. Chast’ I. Ufimskaya guberniya, 1877 [Populated clusters of Bashkortostan. Part 1. Ufa Province, 1877]. Ufa, Kitap Publ., 2002. 432 p. (In Russian)
- Naselennye punkty Bashkortostana. Chast’ III. Bashrespublika, 1926 [Populated clusters of Bashkortostan. Part 3. Bashkir Republic, 1926]. Ufa, Kitap Publ., 2002. 400 p. (In Russian)
- Revizskie skazki [Census lists]. Central’nyj istoricheskij arhiv Respubliki Bashkortostan [The Central Historical Archive of the Republic of Bashkortostan]. Ufa. (In Russian)
- Fazlutdinov I.K. Toponimicheskie predaniya i legendy tatar Bashkortostana: istoricheskie osnovy i idejno-esteticheskie funkcii. Dis. Kand. filol. nauk [Toponymic tales and legends of Tatars of Bashkortostan: Historical foundations and identity-esthetic functions. Cand. Philol. Sci. Diss.]. Ufa, 2005. (In Russian)
About the author: Minnira R. Bulatova is a Candidade of Science (Philology), Senior Research Fellow, Department of Lexicology and Dialectology of G. Ibragimov Institute of Language, Literature and Art of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (12, Karl Marks St., Kazan 420111, Russian Federation); firstname.lastname@example.org