Registers of births as a source on the history of settlements.
The study of the history of human settlements in recent decades has become very popular. Not just professional historians, but also fans of history show interest in this problem. Some amateur historians face the issue of defining a range of sources and the development of a methodology for studying the history of individual regions in the pro-cess of collecting materials and writing essays on the history of villages. The purpose of this publication is to analyze the potential of metric books for solving the above-mentioned task. These documents contain the facts of birth, marriage, divorce and death. Registers of births are an invaluable source for restoration of pedigrees, histories of sorts. The article explores the methodological problems of working with these sources. The author defines the source-study potential of metric books for researching the history of settlements. In addition, the author shows the features of the information contained in the registers of births of different regions. The author points out the prob-lems that reveal this source fo microhistory researchers.
Keywords: history of human settlements, register of births, history of Tatars, local history, village, historical source
For citation: Salakhova E.K. Registers of births as a source on the history of settlements. Istoricheskaya etnologiya – Historical Ethnology, 2019, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 99–108. DOI: 10.22378/he.2019-4-1.99-108
- Kutushev R.R. Musulmanskie metricheskie knigi v Tsentralnom hosudarstvennom archive Respubliki Bashkortostan [Muslim parish registers in the Central State Archive of the Republic of Bashkortostan]. Otechestvennye archvy – Domestic Archives, 2012, no 4, pp. 54–59. (In Russian)
- O vedenii metric i ofitsalnykh dokumetov [On maintenance of metrics and official documents]. Svedeniia Orenburhskoho Duchovnoho upravleniia [The data of the Religious Administration of Orenburg], 1916, no 20. (In Tatar)
- O forme vedeniia metriki [On the form of maintaning metrics]. Svedeniia Orenburhskoho Duchovnoho upravleniia [The data of the Religious Administration of Orenburg], 1916, no. 12–13. (In Tatar)
- Salakhova E. Kollektsiia mahometanskich metricheskich knih v Natsionalnom archive Respubliki Tatarstan [The collection of Mohammedan registers of births in the National Archive of the Republic of Tatarstan]. Otechestvennye archvy – Domestic Archives, no 3, pp. 39–41. (In Russian)
- Salakhova E.K. Metricheskie knigi kak istochnik izucheniya tatarskoy obshiny g. Astrakhani (vtoraya polovina XIX – nachalo XX vv.) [Parish registers as a source of studying the Tatar community of the city of Astrakhan (the second half of the 19th – early 20th centuries)]. Istoricheskaya etnologiya – Historical Ethnology, 2016, vol. 1, 1, pp. 86–95. (In Russian)
- Salakhova E.K. Metricheskie knigi kak istochnik po izucheniyu sotsalno-ekonomicheskoy zhezni i demograficheskoy kartiny tatarskikh dereven vtoroy poloviny XIX veka [Parish registers as a source of studying the socio-economic life and demographic profiles of the Tatar villages in the second half of the 19th century]. VI Vserossiyskaya (XIV Mezhregionalnaya) konferentsiya istorikov-agrarnikov Srednego Povolzhya “Rossiyskaya derevnya: sotsialno-ekonomicheskaya istoriya i sovremennost” [The 6th all-Russian (14th interregional) conference of historian-agrarians of the Middle Volga “Russian village: a socio-economic history and modernity”]. Ulyanovsk, 2016, pp. 300–307. (In Russian)
- Salakhova E. Meticheskie knigi kak istochnik znaniy o tatarskom obshchestve XIX – nachala XX veka [Parish registers as a source of knowledge about the Tatar society of the 19th – early 20th centuries]. Tyurko-musulmanskiy mir: identichnost, nasledie I perspektivy izucheniya (К 80-letiyu professor M.A. Usmanova) [Turkic- Muslim world: Identity, heritage and prospects of studying. Dated to the 80th anniversary of Professor M.A. Usmanov]: collection of articles. Kazan, Kazan University Publ., 2015, pp. 294–299. (In Russian)
- Salakhova E. Meticheskie metricheskie knigi Rossii [Muslim metric registers of Russia]. Ekho vekov – The Echo of Centuries, 2018, no 1, pp. 81–96. (In Russian)
About the author: Elmira K. Salakhova is a Candidate of Science (History), Senior Research Fellow, Department of History and Cultural Heritage of the Peoples of Tatarstan, Sh. Marjani Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (7А, Baturin St., Kazan 420111, Russian Federation); email@example.com