Two plans of the Tatar Quarter of Kazan the middle of the 18th century from the Russian state archive of ancient acts
The analysis of cartographic sources of the 18th century specifies and supplements ideas of scientists of the spatial structure of quarters in general and separate details of planning in particular. In the Tatar settlement of Kazan of the middle of the 18th century, there were serious processes related to eviction of a part on the new territory and filling of the freed territories with new architectural and planning sites. As a result, the Tatar Quarter structure, which hardly changed in the 16th–17th centuries, underwent significant changes. Examination of these changes as concerning all settlement, and some of its interesting details is given in this article. The historical analysis of changes is comp¬lemented with modern geoinformation methods. Data on the specifics of the Old Tatar, New Tatar and New Epiphany quarters, old and new cemeteries of the Tatar settlement have been outlined, information on brick production in the territory of the Tatar Quarter during the specified period is given.
Keywords: ans of the Old-Tatar, New-Tatar and New Epiphany settlements of Kazan, old and new Tatar cemetery, brick production.
For citation: Abdullin Kh.M. Two plans of the Tatar Quarter of Kazan the middle of the 18th century from the Russian state archive of ancient acts. Istoricheskaya etnolo¬giya – Historical Ethnology, 2019, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 339–353. DOI: 10.22378/he.2019-4-2.339-353
- Materialy po istorii Tatarskoj ASSR. Pistsovye knigi goroda Kazani 1565–1568 gg. i 1646 g. Vyp. 2. [Materials on history Tatar the ASSR. Pistsovy books of the city of Kazan of 1565–1568 and 1646. Issue 2]. Leningrad, AN SSSR Publ., 1932. 236 p. (In Russian)
- Märcani Sh.B. Möstäfadel-äkhbar fi äkhvali Kazan vä Bolgar (Kazan һäm Bolgar khälläre turynda faydalanylgan khäbärlär) [Sources on the history of Kazan and Bulgar]. Kazan, Тatar Book Publ. House, 1989. 414 р. (In Tatar)
- Nogmanov A.I. Samoderzhavie i tatary. Ocherki istorii zakonodatel’noj politiki vtoroy poloviny XVI–XVIII vekov [Autocracy and Tatars. Sketches of the history of legislative policy of the second half of the 16th–18th centuries]. Kazan, Тatar Book Publ. House, 2005. 215 р. (In Russian)
- Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy arhiv drevnikh aktov [The Russian State Archive of Ancient Acts]. Fond 248. Inventory 160. Case 155. Leaf 1. (In Russian)
- Rossijskij gosudarstvennyj arhiv drevnih aktov [The Russian State Archive of Ancient Acts]. Fond 248. Inventory 160. Case 157. Leaf 1. (In Russian)
- Salikhov R.R., Khairutdinov R.R. Istoricheskie mecheti Kazani [Historical mosques of Kazan]. Kazan, Тatar Book Publ. House, 2005. 191 р. (In Russian)
- Sultanov R.I. Istoricheskaya geografiya Kazani (gorod i ego predmest’ya v XVI–XVII vekah) [Historical geography of Kazan (the city and its suburbs in the 16th–17th centuries)]. Kazan, Magarif Publ., 2004. 271 р. (In Russian)
- Kharlampovich K.V. Izvestiya I. Gmelina o Kazani i o kazanskih inorodtsakh. (1733) [I. Gmelin’s news of Kazan and of the Kazan foreigners. (1733)]. Kazan, Printing house of Kazan Imperial University, 1904. 26 р. (In Russian)
- TsPMN IYaLI AN RT [The Center for Written and Musical Heritage of G. Ibragimov Institute of Language, Literature and Art of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences]. Fond 8. Inventory 1. Case 347. Leaf 78. (In Russian)
About the author: Khalim M. Abdullin is a Candidate of Science (History), Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Archaeology named after A.Kh. Khalikov of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (30, Butlerov St., Kazan 420012, Russian Federation); email@example.com