History of one photograph. Ups and downs of Turgai province administration counselor, Suleyman Batyrshin’s life
The article presents a selection of archive documents from the funds of the Republic of Kazakhstan Central State Archive (Almaty) and the Russian State Historical Archive (St. Petersburg) about the ups and downs of the career of a nobleman Tatar from the Orenburg Province, interpreter Suleyman Alyukovich Batyrshin. He was assigned challenging and high-profile tasks by the Orenburg Border Commission. For instance, in 1856, he accompanied a delegation of Kazakhs of the Inner Horde to Moscow to take part in the coronation of Emperor Alexander II; in 1858, he was a participant of aide-de-camp N.P. Ignatyev’s military-diplomatic mission to Hiva and Buhara; in 1865–1866, he held the office of sultan-governor of the Western part of the Orenburg Kazakhs Province. For his hard work S. Batyrshin was awarded with Orders of St. Anna and St. Stanislav of the 2nd and 3rd degrees and money rewards. In 1869, he was appointed a counselor of the Turgai Province administration, later he was malaigned, fell into disfavour of his superiors, was dismissed from the service and without charge or trial was deported to the Arkhangelsk Province under the strict control of the police.
Keywords: Tatars, interpreters, rebellion, Yeset Kutebarov, archive documents
For citation: Samigulin I.M. History of one photograph. Ups and downs of Turgai province administration counselor, Suleyman Batyrshin’s life. Istoricheskaya etnologiya – Historical Ethnology, 2020, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 151–179. DOI: 10.22378/he.2020-5-1.151-179
- Dluzhnevskaya G.V. Arkheologicheskiye issledovaniya v Tsentral’noy Azii i Sibiri v 1859–1959 gg. (po dokumentam Nauchnogo arkhiva Instituta istorii material’noy kul’tury RAN) [Archeological research in Central Asia and Siberia in 1859–1959 (based on the documents of the Russian Academy of Sciences Research Archive of the History of Material Culture)]. St. Petersburg, 2011. 296 p. (In Russian)
- Devel T.M. Al’bom fotografiy missii N.P. Ignat’eva v Hivu i Buharu1858 g. [Album of photographs of N.P. Ignatyev’s mission to Hiva and Buhara in 1858]. Strany i narody [Countries and peoples]. Ed. M.N. Bogomolov. Issue 18. Geografiya, etnografiya, istoriya, kul’tura [Geography, ethnography, history, and culture]. St. Petersburg, 1994, pp. 259–271. (In Russian)
- Istoriya Kazahstana v russkih istochnikah XVI–XX vv. O pochetnyh i vliyatel’neishih orduntsah: alfavitniye, imennye, formulyarniye i posluzhniye spiski. 12 noyabrya 1827 g. 9 avgusta 1917 g. [The history of Kazakhstan in the Russian sources of the 16th–20th centuries. On honorable and the most influential members of the Horde: alphabet. Name, record of service and employment lists]. Vol. 8. Part 2. Comp., introduction and commentary and indexes B.T. Zhanaeva. Almaty, 2006. 962 p. (In Russian)
- Masanov. E.A. Noviye svedeniya o V.N. Plotnikove [New information about V.N. Plotnikov]. Sovetskaya etnigrafiya – Soviet Ethnography, 1965, no. 2, pp. 157–161. (In Russian)
- Savinova T.N. Pamyatniye daty Orenburgskoy oblasti. Yanvar’. Anton Stepanovich (Stefanovich) Murenko (1837–1875), poruchik, voenniy fotograg [Memorable dates of the Orenburg Province. January. Anton Stepanvich (Stefanovich) Murenko (1837–1875), lieutenant, military photographer]. Available at: https://orenlib.ru/kray/calendar/a-2035.html (accessed 03.03.2020). (In Russian)
- Semenov V.G., Semenova V.P. Gubernatory Orenburgskogo kraya [Governors of the Orenburg Territory]. Orenburg, Donkovtsev Orenburg Book Publ. House Ltd., 2014. 448 p. (In Russian)
- Sultangalieva G.S. Deyatelnost’ tatarskih perevodchikov i tolmachey Orenburgskoy pogranichnoy komissii v Kazahskoy stepi (XVIII–XIX vv.) [Work of tatar translators and interpreters of the Orenburg Border Commission in the Kazakh Steppe (the 18th–19th centuries)]. Nauchniy Tatarstan – Scientific Tatarstan, 2009, no. 4, pp. 125–138. (In Russian)
- Tsentral’niy gosudarstvenniy arkhiv Respubliki Kazakhstan [The Central State Archive of the Republic of Kazakhstan]. F. I.–25. Op. 2. D. 192.
About the author: Ilyas M. Samigulin is a master-level archivist, Republican State Institution “Central State Archive” of the Ministry of Culture and Sports of the Republic of Kazakhstan (39, Abay Ave., Almaty A05A1T7, Republic of Kazakhstan); firstname.lastname@example.org